Handyman jobs completed – Week of Oct 10, 2016

Handyman jobs completed – Week of Oct 10, 2016

Welcome to my weekly blog for the Handyman jobs I completed for the week of October 10, 2016. My hope is to give people a better understanding of the types of jobs that I do.

Monday – For my first customer I fixed a door that was sticking, added weather stripping to a second door, and added a new door sweep to a third door.  Then I fixed a light fixture that wasn’t working, hung a mirror, and repaired the seal around a shower door.  This customer also asked me to take a look at a recently installed bathroom vent fan (that was installed by someone else).  According to the customer, ever since the vent fan was installed, the bathroom just stayed humid.

It turns out, the person that installed the vent fan did not do any air sealing.  They cut a hole in the ceiling and just put the fan in.  While I was in the attic, I could literally see through the vent fan and into the bathroom.  Essentially, this customer paid someone to install an open window into their bathroom.  And to top it off, the person that installed the fan also kicked one of the AC ducts and broke it loose.  Unfortunately I did have the materials to fix everything, but I am scheduled to return during the week of October 24th.

While I was in the attic, I noticed that their overflow tray for the AC had water in it.  So, I cleaned out both the main and emergency drain lines.  At the time, I didn’t have any bleach (and neither did the homeowner), so I will pour some beach into the lines on my next visit.

After that, I pressure washed the back patio, a gazebo, driveway, and walkway.  As always, I do my pressure washing in the most environmentally friendly manner.  I don’t use any chemicals, I let the pressure of the water do all the work.  You can read more about how I do it on my eco-friendly pressure washing webpage.

For my second customer I installed a safety bar in a shower.  When I install these, I use WingIts.  This allows me to install them into Sheetrock without having to find a stud.  The only down side is that WingIts require you to drill four 3/4-inch holes, which is no easy task when you are drilling through tile.

After that I went to check on that vacant house in Wilchester.  I emptied the mailbox and tuned on the water sprinklers.

Tuesday – I fixed a light fixture in Cypress, Tx.  I worked on my handyman trailer for the rest of the day.

Wednesday  – For the rest of the week, I was scheduled to paint 43 liner feet of iron work.  Most of it was an iron fence, but two windows also had decorative iron work in front of them.  To pain it properly, I had to take those down.  One section was covering an upstairs window.  Thankfully, the homeowner was kind  enough to help me take it down.  I spent a vast majority of the day washing (with SimpleGreen), sanding, and priming all of the iron work.  I did manage to get the first coat of paint on the iron work that goes in front of the windows.

For my second customer I adjusted their front door.  Before I started working on it, it was almost impossible to use the dead bolt.  When I was done, it was as good as new.  I also reattached a computer tray that came off unexpectedly.

Thursday – I put a second coat of paint on the iron work that goes in front of the windows.  Then I put the first coat of paint on the remaining iron work.

Friday – I rehung the iron work in front of the windows and put a second coat of paint on the remaining iron work.

For my second customer, I adjusted a front door that was sticking, fixed an attic door that would not stay closed, installed a new handle on a toilet, and tightened many antique door handles.

For my third customer (which was me), I built a bike rack that holds 5 bikes.

 

 

468 ad